North York Eye Clinic uses cutting-edge digital imaging technology to assess your eyes. Many eye diseases, if detected at an early stage, can be treated successfully without total loss of vision. Your retinal images will be stored electronically. This gives the eye doctor a permanent record of the condition and state of your retina.
This is very important in assisting your Optometrist to detect and measure any changes to your retina each time you get your eyes examined, as many eye conditions, such as glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration are diagnosed by detecting changes over time.
The advantages of digital imaging include:
- Quick, safe, non-invasive and painless
- Provides detailed images of your retina and sub-surface of your eyes
- Provides instant, direct imaging of the form and structure of eye tissue
- Image resolution is extremely high quality
- Uses eye-safe near-infra-red light
- No patient prep required
Digital Retinal Imaging
Digital Retinal Imaging allows your eye doctor to evaluate the health of the back of your eye, the retina. It is critical to confirm the health of the retina, optic nerve and other retinal structures. The digital camera snaps a high-resolution digital picture of your retina. This picture clearly shows the health of your eyes and is used as a baseline to track any changes in your eyes in future eye examinations.
Visual Field Testing/ Automated Perimetry
Numerous eye and brain diseases such as glaucoma, stroke and optic neuropathy can cause peripheral vision loss and other visual field abnormalities. Visual field tests are performed by eye doctors to detect blind spots and other visual field defects, which can be an early sign of these problems. Visual field tests are used to assess the full horizontal and vertical range and sensitivity of your vision. These visual field test results can then be used to assess potential changes in your visual field in the future.
Visual field testing is most frequently used to detect signs of glaucoma damage to the optic nerve. In addition, visual field tests are useful for detection of central or peripheral retinal diseases of the retina and toxicity from certain medications. In addition, visual field testing can be used to detect conditions that affect the visual pathways from the optic nerves to the occipital lobe of the brain, including tumors, inflammatory disease, increased intracranial pressure, injury or stroke.
Corneal Topography/ Corneal Mapping
Corneal topography, is a medical imaging device used to map the surface curvature of the cornea.
The corneal topographer is used for:
- Refractive surgery consultation : To screen patients to ensure that the corneal curvature is normal and to ensure that LASIK/PRK/LASEK surgery are safe for the patient.
- Keratoconus and Pellucid Marginal Degeneration : Corneal topography is used to screen, diagnose and monitor patients with keratoconus, pellucid marginal degeneration or other corneal diseases. In cases with established keratoconus, the corneal topography is extremely important for monitoring progression and doing a timely corneal collagen cross linking , and in contact lens fitting.
- Specialty contact lenses: Corneal topography is used for specialty contact lens fitting. North York eye clinic dispenses : rigid gas permeable contact lenses (RGP/hard contact lenses), scleral contact lenses and orthokeratology (Ortho-K) corneal reshaping contact lenses.